Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First day of Treatment

It was a long and informative day at the Center for Hematology Oncology Center. We arrived at the center at 0830 for our 0900 appointment and promply were taken back to begin.
Our treatment name is "FOLFOX" and it is a 6month treatment plan. We have chemo every-other Tuesday and are sent home with an infusion pump to continue the therapy until Thursday- 46 hours later- when we return and have the pump removed from the port. Dennis keeps the pump in a "fanny pack" that he wears around his waist. For our medically apt friends the Chemo drugs are-Oxaliplatin,5FU and Levcovorin. The staff is incredible! They explain everything so well ... and repeat them for me when I don't quite get it.
We were at the center until 1600 doing treatment. I ran out at 1030 to get a prescription filled and to bring back lunch. I wasn't prepared for an extended treatment day. Now I know!
Dennis is very happy to be starting treatment and spirits seems alot better! Side effects may appear tomorrow. We have nausea medicine ready just in case.

Email Dennis/Denny at redfox8@flica.net or any other address you might have... I think he uses 3 email address.

1 comment:

Natalie D. West said...

Im so happy to read this! Like I said before, my understanding of what chemo was was... definately off! It´s good that dad´s feeling up and about, and back to himself again. Does that mean more walkabouts!?!

love you and miss you guys!